Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Neglect

A whole month!  Wow, time has really gotten away from me.  For the past several weeks my focus has been on me, myself and my kidney.  Thankfully, I don't have a lot of experience with health issues and so when something like a Paul Bunyan style kidney stone comes on the scene, I was definitely thrown for a loop!  I have a whole new respect and awe for people who deal with chronic illnesses and pain -- and for the people who take care of them.  I'm so grateful for the way Captain Marvelous has cared for me during this ordeal.  I'm pretty tired of the whole thing and I'm sure he is too!

While we've been working on our kitchen remodel, we had to make the decision to not plant a garden this year.  Of course there are only so many hours in a day and if we try to spread ourselves too thin, nothing gets done very well.  We did plant 3 tomato plants in containers and I had ordered a couple of blackberry plants and 5 raspberry canes, but other than that, no garden.  Most evenings and weekends have been spent doing some form of construction or clean-up.  I snapped a photo of our garden area because its the perfect picture of neglect.  Ignoring the garden allowed the most magnificent weed growth I've ever witnessed!

I had no idea that weeds could grow that tall!

Now I realize that just a minimal amount of attention could have saved us from the monumental task we now face.  It's a great lesson for me though and I can apply it to so many areas in my life.  When I neglect healthy eating and regular exercise I face the not-so-fun task of toting around extra pounds that seem SO hard to lose.  When I neglect housework and putting things in their places, the clutter can seem overwhelming.  Most of all, when I neglect to pray and seek God's will -- life seems hard. My new goal is to be diligent.  It may not be glamorous but slow and steady wins the race, right?  I know I still have another week of "no strenuous activity and no lifting more than 10 lbs." but after that...weeds beware!
Busy bee enjoying the herb garden.  

1 comment:

  1. Don't overdo it honey! Maybe a little Weed-b-gone would help.

    ReplyDelete